Wednesday 13 June 2018

00 - Introduction



“The road to success is always under construction”


Hello world...!! My name is Mario Manosalvas Paredes and the easiest way to introduce myself is by recognising that I feel passion for pavement engineering. I have to admit that this is the first time that I am writing on a blog therefore be patient because at the end of this journey, I assure you that both of us will have grown.

The best way to start this blog, I think, is by writing a little bit of who am I, where I have been and, what do I want to do in the future, so buckle up because this is my blog and it has started.

I was born 29-years ago in Quito – Ecuador, which for those who do not know, it has been awarded as the top destination in South America from 2013 to 2017 (World Travel Awards 2017). I did by bachelor’s in Civil Engineer at Escuela Politécnica del Ejército (Army Polytechnic School) between 2007 and 2012. After those years, I joined Promanvial Consulting where I started working on Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) for road and airport pavements; I worked for nearly 3-years there and the project that I will always remember is when I had to measure the primary road network of Ecuador with approximately, 9200 kilometres in 45-days. In 2015, I felt prepared for a new challenge and after being accepted at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Technical University of Madrid), I started of what has become in the “beginning of a new life”. Many memories and professors come to my mind but in order to keep it short I would describe it as the origin of myself as a researcher, a side which until that time was not familiar to me. After completing my studies in Spain, I brilliant opportunity came to me and once again, I had to pack my bag and move norther, this time, I landed in Copenhagen where I joined Dynatest Denmark to work under the Consultancy Division. My first project was the Functional Evaluation of an airport in Belgium which I remember as it were yesterday. During 2015 to 2017 I worked mostly on airports passing from Asia to South America and had the opportunity to represent Dynatest around the world where I met wonderful people. I have to say that I was searching for an opportunity to complete my Doctoral studies and that opportunity came 8-months ago when I became a Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellow at the University of Nottingham where I work as a researcher for the Nottingham Transportation Research Centre under the Faculty of Engineering. About the future, too many things could happen therefore I will be open to the different opportunities whether continuing in academia or returning to private sector.

Currently, as mentioned before, I am a PhD student at the University of Nottingham and my project is part of the SMARTI European Training Network under the Horizon 2020 EU project. The title of my project is ESR7 “Smart and Sustainable Solutions for Road and Airport Pavements” and within this 3-years, our aim is to embed piezoelectric (PZT) sensors in the surface of the pavement to predict damage at the earliest possible time which follows the criteria of Structural Health Monitoring. This project is a mixture of Civil and Mechanical Engineering. Basically, our project will use previous PZT developed by one of the partners and we will compare the responses from accelerated test and laboratory test in order to develop a relationship which can be used by road owners, private companies and, everyone who wants to predict damage in an accurate way. The main aim of the project is the development of a predictive damage model for pavement monitoring based on wireless / batteryless Piezoelectric (PZT) sensors located at the surface layer after maintenance work.  

This is just an introduction to the project. In the next post we will discuss about why pavements deteriorate and how we can overcome those effects. Think about this topic and feel free to share your ideas. Suggestion are more than welcome!

Stay tuned and see you soon!
Mario Manosalvas Paredes
For questions, observations or suggestions feel free to contact me at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

07 – Multi-Functional Transport Infrastructures Training Week, Paris/Nantes – France, Monday 21th to Friday 27th of January 2019

  SMARTI Fellows ... Winter has come ... keep walking ... never look back .!  Hello word...!! Before we get into the main to...

Most Read