Saturday 20 April 2019

03 – International Society for Asphalt Pavements 2018, Fortaleza – Brazil, Tue 19th Jun – Thu 21 Jun, 2018


Hello word...!!

I have to say that lot of things have happened since my last entry, which was almost a year ago, so I promise that I will write a few posts so you can know where I have been and what I have done within my PhD journey 😊.!

In this entry, I will explain my views and anecdotes on what it was my first international conference as a Marie Curie Research Fellow. The name of the conference was: International Society for Asphalt Pavements (ISAP) which is a volunteer organization of professionals and experts in asphalt engineering whose goal is to share the latest in leading edge asphalt pavement technology worldwide. ISAP conferences occur every four-years having its first appearance in 1962 at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Fifty-six years later, I had the great opportunity to attend the thirteenth ISAP conference held in Fortaleza, Brazil between the 19 and 21 of June 2018. 


Figure 1: ISAP Conference Venue at Hotel Gran Marquise

For any pavement engineer, it was for me at least, see the name of key-speakers such as Andre Molenaar (UT Delft, Netherlands), Hervé Di Benedetto (University of Lyon / ENTPE, France), Kim Jenkins (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa), and many others, was already worth attending the conference and off course, they did not let the attenders down with their presentations. Professor Molenaar walk us through “Pavement Design, where did we come from and where are we going?” which I enjoyed very much. From his lecture, I truly connected when he mentioned that we will not move further if we keep making assumptions, wrong most of the time, on the performance of basic inputs for pavement design which in a way motivated me to talk to him, privately, and explain him the idea behind SmartEcoPave. All in all, Andre showed interest on my topic and shared some of his bibliography plus he put me in contact with two of his former PhD students.


Figure 2: Professor Andre Molenaar on the left and your blogger, Mario.

If I keep talking of all the researchers I met during ISAP this post might turn, in length, as a chapter of my Thesis and right now we do not want that 😉. Nevertheless, I would not like to miss the opportunity to mention some of the people I met and had a talk. Figure 3 shows Richard Kim (North Carolina State University, USA) top left-side, Kim Jenkins (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa) top right-side, Luis Guillermo Loria-Salazar (LANAMME-UCR, Costa Rica) bottom left-side, Emmanuel Chailleux (IFSTTAR, France) bottom centre, and Breixo Gomez (University of Nottingham, UK) bottom right-side.  


Figure 3: World-class speakers at ISAP Conference.


As an overall conclusion, I gained knowledge from all the presentations I attended where I also had the chance to dream on how my Piezoelectric Sensors will enter in the non-stopping development’s world of pavements. Also important, had the time to relax and to strength relations with colleagues from Spain and Chile.


Figure 4: Colleagues from Spain and Chile during our last dinner together.

Stay tuned and see you soon pavement lovers!

Mario Manosalvas Paredes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

07 – Multi-Functional Transport Infrastructures Training Week, Paris/Nantes – France, Monday 21th to Friday 27th of January 2019

  SMARTI Fellows ... Winter has come ... keep walking ... never look back .!  Hello word...!! Before we get into the main to...

Most Read